These are an absolute staple in our house! I make these for my husbands lunches. With a great big salad, these are the perfect meal. They are very easy to make, are a great source of protein, and are also packed with veges.
My little boy also loves them, and I love that they are full of hidden vegetables! Onions, garlic and ginger for immune building and nuts for added texture and good fats.
I leave the chillies in, even for my little boy. He has been used to eating spicy foods since he was little, as I want him to enjoy a wide variety from a young age. The long red cayenne chillies aren’t that hot, but you can leave them out if your child is sensitive to spicy foods!
You will notice that I have diced the onions and garlic and capsicum and panfried them first. This probably comes down to my OCD, as I like some things to be precise! You can chop them in the Thermomix if you couldn’t be bothered to dice yourself. I cook them off in a fry pan before adding to the mix as I don’t want them to make the mix watery. You also get nice caramelisation in a pan which adds loads of flavour!
These are great also as a dinner option served with roasted/steamed vegetables.
- 6 Kaffir Lime Leaves (stalk removed)
- 2 stalks Lemon Grass (white part only)
- 1/4 bunch Coriander (inclu roots & stalks)
- 5cm knobs Ginger
- 1/2 Lime, zested
- 2 Red Cayenne Chillies, de-seeded
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil, plus extra for pan frying
- 2 Large Red Onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 Red Capsicum, finely chopped
- 1kg Organic Chicken Breasts, roughly chopped into 3-4cm pieces
- 2 Zucchinis
- 2 Carrots
- 100g Cashews
- 100g Macadamias
- 4 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
- 2 Organic Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- Gluten Free Breadcrumbs or Almond Meal (for crumbing)
- Roughly chop all the ingredients into 1-2 cm pieces. Then add to the Thermomix bowl and process 5-10 Sec/Speed 7. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Bring a large fry pan to medium heat. Add 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, the finely diced onion & garlic and sauté till golden brown. Add to the large mixing bowl with the curry paste. Repeat the process with the remaining olive oil and capsicum and add to the large mixing bowl.
- Add the chicken, 500g at a time, to the Thermomix and process 5 Sec/Speed 5. Transfer to the large mixing bowl also.
- Roughly chop the carrot and zucchini into 3-4cm pieces and add to the Thermomix bowl. Chop 10 Sec/Speed 4. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the nuts to the Thermomix bowl and chop 12 Sec/Speed 4. Add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the spring onions and give the mix a good stir at this point before adding all the remaining ingredients.
- Heat a large fry pan over medium heat. Add some olive oil (Be careful not to smoke the oil). Roll the mix into rissole shapes & coat with breadcrumbs or almond meal. It is quite a loose mix, so handle them with care. Add to the pan and cook for 2-4 mins each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer onto a paper towel lined cooling rack. Serve warm with a fresh salad or vegetables & garlic mayo or thai tomato relish.
- Refrigerate for 3 days or freeze for future use.