These little quiches are the perfect thing to put into lunch boxes! Protein, veggies, and a little carb, they are an excellent source of protein, fat and carbohydrates.
They make for the perfect adult or childs lunchbox, party or barbecue or gathering where you need to take a plate! They also make the perfect go-to in the fridge for busy mums! And even better they freeze well.
I use wholemeal and white spelt flours in these, however you can use plain wheat flours interchangeably with spelt.
I like to use spelt in my kitchen as it’s a more ancient form of wheat and is less modified and processed and is easier to digest.
A recipe testers for The 4 Blades Magazine says “They looked really nice and we all loved the flavours of the filling. They make a nice tasty summer meal to have on their own or with a salad.” Tina
You can substitute the filling around with ingredients in your fridge. If you don’t have pumpkin you could use sweet potato and any choice of herbs you like.
The egg mixture is the same as the other savoury tart recipes. It works a treat for so many things!
Roast Pumpkin, Thyme & Goat’s Cheese Mini Quiches
These delicious quiches make the perfect addition to a lunchbox for kids and adults!
- 100g Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- 100g White Spelt Flour
- 100g Organic Butter
- 1/2 tsp Celtic Sea Salt
- 40g Water
- 400g Butternut or Jap Pumpkin, peeled and cubed into 1-2cm pieces
- 1/4 tsp salt
- few sprigs thyme leaves
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 Med Brown Onions, peeled and sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar or White Wine
- 1 Tbsp Rapadura Sugar
- 100g Baby Spinach
- 100g Goats Cheese of Feta
- 4 Organic Eggs
- 60g Sour Cream or Coconut Cream
- 60g Milk or Almond Milk
- 1/2 tsp Celtic Salt
- 1/2 Bunch Onion Chives, finely chopped
- few sprigs Italian parsley, finely chopped
- To make the pastry place the flours, butter and salt into the Thermomix and process 10 Sec/Speed 6 or until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the water and knead 10-20 Sec.
- Transfer the dough to a sheet of clingfilm, press the dough together, cover in clingfilm, flatten into a disc and place into the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Lightly grease the muffin tin and set aside.
- Roll out the dough to approx 2mm thick, and using a 9cm round pastry cutter, cut 14 rounds from the pastry. Press the pastry rounds into a non stick muffin tin sprayed with oil. Place into the freezer for 15 minutes to firm.
- Cut 14 very small baking paper rounds to one the pastry base, before topping with baking beads and blind baking for 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before removing the baking beads, Set aside in the tins until you are ready to proceed with the filling.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the pumpkin, salt, thyme and olive oil onto the tray and toss together. Spread the pumpkin out evenly over the tray and roast for 15 minutes or until just tender.
- To make the caramelised onions, heat the remaining 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a pan on medium-high heat and add the onions.
- Cook the onions, stirring occasionally until very well browned. The thinner the onions are sliced the batter the caramelisation you will get. Add the vinegar and sugar right at the end and stir to combine.
- Push the onions over to one side of the pan and dd the baby spinach, stirring until just wilted. It should retain it’s vibrant green colour! Take off the heat and set aside.
- Place the eggs, sour cream, milk, salt, chives and parsley into the Thermomix bowl and mix 10 Sec/Speed 4.
- To assemble, scatter the onions evenly over the base of the quiches, follow with the cooked pumpkin, spinach and goat’s cheese.
- Pour the egg mix over to complete the fillings Bake for 20-25 minutes or until just set and golden brown. Cool for a few minutes in the tray before cooling completely on a wire cooling rack. Serve warm or cold.
- You can substitute spelt flour for regular wheat flour.
- You can substitute pumpkin for sweet potato or any other favourite vegetable you have!
- You can also substitute the herbs according to your likes as well.