This gorgeous tart came about recently as I had a lonely tub of creme fraiche in the fridge along with oodles of strawberries! I pretty quickly came up with this delicious tart of goodness! It’s really really easy to make. The most complicated part would be the pastry, but the filling is literally a 15 sec whiz together!
Crème fraiche is quite similar to sour cream, however it has a higher fat content than sour cream and doesn’t split like sour cream when boiled. It has a lovely nutty type flavour and is also good for whipping.
Together the creme fraiche with a block of cream cheese really does make the perfect filling!
I just love the look of the candied lemon zest on the top! It really looks so yummy! And it takes 5 minutes! Terrific! Just one of the reasons why I love my Thermomix! You could opt for lime zest on the top too!
You could use strawberries interchangeably with raspberries and or blueberries! Yum!
To make it dairy free you could even use coconut yoghurt or whipped coconut cream perhaps too.
- 50g Raw or Rapadura Sugar
- 1/4 Lemon rind
- 100g Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- 100g White Spelt Flour
- 100g Organic Butter, cubed & chilled
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 200g Crème Fraiche
- 60ml Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1/2 Lemon, zested
- 500g Fresh Strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 Lemon
- 2 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Water
- Place the sugar and the lemon rind into the Thermomix bowl. Mill 10 sec/Speed 9. Add the flour and butter and process for 10 sec/speed 6 or until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and vanilla and knead 10-20 seconds or until the dough just comes together.
- Using the Thermomat or a lightly floured surface bring the dough together to form a ball. Flatten & wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll pastry, using a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, to be 3mm thick and use to line the base and sides of a large rectangular tart shell.
- Prick the base with a fork then place back into the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Line the tart case with a rectangular shaped piece of baking paper and fill the case with pie weights. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and bake for another 5-10 minutes until pale golden.
- Allow to cool before taking the pie weights out of the case. Set aside until ready to use.
- Place all the ingredients into the Thermomix and mix 15 Sec/Speed 4. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix a further 10 Sec/Speed 4 or until the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Pour into the prepared tart case and top with the whole strawberries.
- Remove zest from lemons with a vegetable peeler, keeping pieces long. Remove any white pith using a paring knife then cut into a fine julienne using a very sharp knife.
- Place the honey, water and lemon peel into the Thermomix and cook 5 Mins/100°/Speed 2.
- Take the candied lemon zest out of the syrup and set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the strawberries on the top of the tart with the syrup to glaze them nicely, then top with the candied lemon zest.
- Cut into pieces and serve!