I got 1kg of blueberries for $10 last week from my farmer’s market and since we had a large gathering of people in our home, it was the perfect opportunity to make these tarts!
You will need my Almond Milk to make this gorgeous tart. You would barely know this custard is dairy free. It is just delicious! I feel so good eating it, and feeding it to my family, knowing that it is only sweetened with honey, and full of nutty, coconut goodness.
Traditionally, you glaze the top of the tart with a sugar glaze to give it shine, but I choose to leave that off. I think it still looks pretty beautiful without it.
This is such a wonderful recipe to get the children involved with too! Have them decorate the berries on top with their own wonderful design!
- 100g Rapadura Sugar
- 1/2 Lemon, rind
- 150g Wholemeal Spelt Flour
- 150g Unbleached Spelt Flour
- 150g Organic Butter
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 250ml Almond Milk
- 250ml Coconut Milk
- 1 Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 100g Honey
- 50g Cornflour
- 25g Organic Butter (optional)
- 500g Fresh Strawberries & Blueberries
- Place all the creme patisserie ingredients into the bowl of the Thermomix and cook 12 minutes/90°Speed 3.
- Pour into a bowl and directly cover the mixture with cling wrap to prevent the forming of a skin. Chill for at least 4 hours, or over night.
- Place the sugar and the lemon rind into the Thermomix bowl. Mill 10 sec/Speed 9. Add the flour and butter and process for 10 sec/speed 6 or until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and vanilla and knead 10-20 seconds or until the dough just comes together.
- Using the Thermomat or a lightly floured surface bring the dough together to form a ball. Flatten & wrap the dough in cling film and place in the fridge for 30 mins to rest. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Roll pastry, using a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, to be 3mm thick. and press into a large round tart shell.
- Place back into the fridge for a 30 minutes to chill.
- Place a small piece of baking paper over the pastry and fill the case with pie weights. Blind bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool before taking the pie weights out of the case. Set aside until ready to use.
- Take the crème patisserie out of the fridge. It will be quite firm set at this stage, so place it back into the bowl of the Thermomix and process 5 Sec/Speed 6.
- Pour into the prepared pastry case and top decoratively with sliced strawberries and blueberries. Serve.
- During assembly, if the custard looks too runny to hold up the fruit on top, place the custard filled tart back in the fridge for 30 mins-1 hr to set up for the fruit.