I’ve always added Italian Parsley to my pesto as it oxides quite a lot slower than basil and keeps for a really brilliant vibrant green pesto. And plus I really love the flavour dimension that the parsley adds.
Basil & Parsley are really high in Vitamin K along with many other vitamins. Through their unique anti-oxidants, essential-oils, vitamins, phyto-sterols and other nutrient substances, they help equip our body to fight against germs, toxins and help to boost immunity level.
So what better way than to pack them into a super dense nutrient spread/sauce!
I choose macadamias and pine nuts! They mix gives a really delicious flavour. You could use brazil or cashew nuts too.
To make it dairy free and completely paleo just omit the parmesan. You will still have a beautiful pesto.
- 60g Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Large Bunches (100g) Basil
- 1 Bunch (20g) Italian Parsley
- 150g Pine Nuts
- 50g Macadamias
- 1 1/2 tsp Celtic Salt
- 100g Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper and roast the pine nuts and macadamias for approximately 10 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the parmesan into the Thermomix and mill 5 Sec/Speed 7.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and blend 8 Sec/Speed 7.
- This pesto will keep nicely in the fridge for up to a week. Just make sure you cover the top with extra olive oil.
- You can freeze this pesto too. I often make a batch and freeze the leftover into ice cube trays ready to pull out for different meals.